– Three free programs to work with solid-state drives (SSDs): Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox (Free), AS SSD benchmark (Free) and Clonezilla live (Open Source) – these programs help you get the optimal speed and extend the life of your Solid State Drive (also known as a solid-state disk).
1. Intel® Solid State Drive (SSD) Toolbox
Intel Solid State Drive (SSD) Toolbox will help you manage your Intel SSD and keep it in perfect running order.
The Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox (Intel SSD Toolbox) provides the following functional capabilities:
- Accessing Intel SSD management features (Intel SSD Optimizer, System Configuration Tuner and Secure Erase)
- Reporting the drive identification data for Intel SSDs, as well as other drives.
- Accessing the Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) attributes for Intel SSDs, as well as other drives.
- Checking the SMART thresholds and viewing recommended actions for Intel SSDs, as well as other drives.
Running diagnostic scans on Intel SSDs to check for any READ or WRITE errors.
When opened the following screen will display the name and capacity of each drive on your PC, as well as the following options:
- Intel SSD Management Tools – Enables monitoring and managing of any Intel SSDs associated with this computer.
- View Drive Information – Displays the model number, serial number and firmware number for each drive on the system. It also lists the ATA and SATA capabilities for the selected drive.
- Check SMART Attributes – Lists the SMART features and their respective thresholds, and, if necessary, indicates any action to take.
- Run Fast Diagnostic Scan – Analyzes the first 1.5 GB of an SSD to determine whether there are any READ or WRITE errors.
- Run Full Diagnostic Scan – Analyzes the complete SSD to determine whether there are any READ or WRITE errors or any bad blocks.
Before initiating the Intel SSD Toolbox installation, be sure to read and precisely follow the instructions included in the Intel SSD Toolbox User Guide, Readme, and Release Notes. There is also a Frequently Asked Questions document available. You may wish to print these instructions for easy reference.
The User Guide and Readme.rtf file include the Intel SSD Toolbox installation instructions.
- Author: Intel
- Website: http://www.intel.com/
- License: Freeware
- Requires: Win 10 / 8 / 7
For internal corporate use, corporate customers can download the Intel® SSD Toolbox. While the software includes an embedded alternative license, the “OEM Internal Software License.pdf” agreement included with the download applies.
2. AS SSD Benchmark
The AS SSD benchmark determines the performance of Solid State Drives (SSD). The tool contains six synthetic and three copy tests.
The synthetic tests determine the sequential and random read and write performance of the SSD. These tests are carried out without using the operating system cache.
In Seq-test the program measures how long it takes to read a 1 GB file to write respectively. 4K test the read and write performance is determined at random 4K blocks. The 4K-64 corresponds to the test Thrd 4K procedure except that the read and write operations are distributed to 64 threads. This test should SSDs pose with Native Command Queuing (NCQ), differences between the IDE operation mode where NCQ is not supported, and the AHCI mode.
The additional compression test can measure the power of the SSD in response to compressibility of the data. This is especially for the controllers that use to increase the performance and life of the cell compression, important. In the first three synthetic tests and the compression test, the size of the test file 1 GB.
Finally the access time of the SSD is calculated, wherein the access to read over the entire capacity of the SSD (Full Stroke) is determined. The write access test, however, is done with a 1 GB big test file.
- Author: Alex Schepeljanski
- Website: http://www.alex-is.de/
- License: Freeware
- Requires: Win 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
Version History for AS SSD Benchmark:
* Windows 10 Support
* .NET Framework 4.5 or newer required
+ Timer bugfix
3. Clonezilla live
Clonezilla is an Open Source partition, disk imaging and cloning program similar to True Image or Norton Ghost.
It helps you to do system deployment, bare metal backup and recovery. Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. While it is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. It saves and restores only used blocks in the harddisk. This increases the clone efficiency. With some high-end hardware in a 42-node cluster, a multicast restoring at rate 8 GB/min was reported.
- Filesystem supported: (1) ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, xfs, jfs, btrfs of GNU/Linux, (2) FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS of MS Windows, (3) HFS+ of Mac OS, (4) UFS of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, (5) minix of Minix, and (6) VMFS3 and VMFS5 of VMWare ESX. Therefore you can clone GNU/Linux, MS windows, Intel-based Mac OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Minix and VMWare ESX, no matter it’s 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86-64) OS. For these file systems, only used blocks in partition are saved and restored. For unsupported file system, sector-to-sector copy is done by dd in Clonezilla.
- LVM2 (LVM version 1 is not) under GNU/Linux is supported.
- Boot loader, including grub (version 1 and version 2) and syslinux, could be reinstalled.
- Both MBR and GPT partition format of hard drive are supported. Clonezilla live also can be booted on a BIOS or uEFI machine.
- Unattended mode is supported. Almost all steps can be done via commands and options. You can also use a lot of boot parameters to customize your own imaging and cloning.
- One image restoring to multiple local devices is supported.
- Multicast is supported in SE, which is suitable for massively clone. You can also remotely use it to save or restore a bunch of computers if PXE and Wake-on-LAN are supported in your clients.
- The image file can be on local disk, ssh server, samba server, or NFS server.
- Based on Partclone (default), Partimage (optional), ntfsclone (optional), or dd to image or clone a partition. However, Clonezilla, containing some other programs, can save and restore not only partitions, but also a whole disk.
- By using another free software drbl-winroll, which is also developed by us, the hostname, group, and SID of cloned MS windows machine can be automatically changed.
Clonezilla offers multiple packages for different processors (i686, 586, AMD64, Intel 54) but this download works on most modern computers. They also offer zip downloads for thumb drives. These can be downloaded by clicking on the author link above.
- Author: Clonezilla
- Website: http://www.clonezilla.org/
- License: Open Source
- Requires: Win 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP